Vegan Farro Salad Recipe
Hi bb’s!!!! Comin’ at ya this week with my vegan farro salad recipe! Weeeee it’s SO GOOD! Making this salad was my first attempt at cooking with farro and I have to be honest: I love it!! Farro is a whole grain so while it does contain gluten, it contains lower levels than today’s wheat, and if prepared properly, the gluten is pre-digested and broken down by sprouting and fermentation like a sourdough process which makes it much more tolerable with anyone sensitive to gluten (if you are gluten-free try subbing out the farro with quinoa or rice instead!). Farro is a great alternative grain to use as it contains more fiber than other popular grains like rice and quinoa, which means it might have even more positive benefits when it comes to digestion and cardiovascular health. It’s also exceptionally high in protein for a grain and supplies more than 10 different vitamins and minerals! YES PLEASE!
If you’ve been following along with me on Instagram, then you know have been experimenting with meal prepping (I even did a blog post on it which you can read by clicking here!) and this has by far been one of my favorite meals to prep! It’s super easy, delicious, packed with nutrients and great for on the go!
Ingredients for vegan farro salad:
1 large sweet potato
3/4 cup organic farro
1 cup organic pomegranate seeds
1/2 cup organic shelled pistachios
avocado oil or olive oil
balsamic vinegar or balsamic glaze
himalayan pink salt & black pepper
- First pre-heat your even to about 350-400 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper
- Peel your sweet potato and dice into small pieces, toss lightly in your olive or avocado oil, then sprinkle with pink salt and black pepper taste.
- Roast your diced sweet potato until soft and golden brown (in my oven it took about 30 minutes, but that may be different depending on your oven! just keep an eye on them!) It’s also a good idea to flip them half way through baking to make sure they cook evenly!
- While your sweet potato is in the oven cook your farro! The cooking directions should be on the package for you, but here’s how I did mine: 2/3 cup of water + 1/4 cups of farro; I meal prepped this salad for the next 3 meals so I multiplied it by 3 to make a ig enough batch for 3 meals, but 2/3 cup of water + 1/4 cups of farro would make 1 serving 🙂 Whatever the amount you decide to cook: bring water and farro to a boil in a saucepan, then lower the heat, cover and cook for 15 minutes until farro is soft and fluffy. Drain any excess water and set aside to cool.
- Once the sweet potato is done roasting combine organic shelled pistachios + organic pomegranate seeds + sweet potato together. if you;re making this for a meal ahead of time just store these ingredients together on their own until you’re ready to eat it! Otherwise if you’re ready to eat it at the time of preparation fill a bowl with a few handfuls of organic arugula lettuce, top with your farro mixture, drizzle some balsamic glaze + sprinkle some fresh ground black pepper and you’re good to go!
Hope you love this simple and delicious vegan farro salad recipe! If you make it let me know what you think! And for daily recipes, inspo, tips and yoga follow me on instagram @shaylaquinn 🙂
PS: have you checked out my new vegan e-book?!